Friday, June 29, 2012

The Confession of an Erstwhile Sheep

First they came for the sodas
But I only drink diet so I remained silent
Then they came for the movie theater popcorn
But I don't go to the movies so I remained silent
Then they came for the milkshakes
But I'm lactose intolerant so I remained silent
Then they came for the bacon
And...for the love of all that's holy, NOT THE BACON! 

--A terribly bastardized version of a clever comment I read in response to a newspaper article I read a bit ago and can't be bothered to look up now.


So yesterday I got the news that the Supreme Court upheld the Affordable Care Act.  To be honest, I wasn't expecting that.  I was sure the individual mandate at least would get thrown out as a laughable bit of federal overreaching.  Alas, my faith was misplaced.  It was a sad day, as I realized anew just how much power the government has accrued to itself.  I was furious.  I was frightened.  I was ready to revolt.

I was told the strange sensations I was experiencing were something called "emotions."
 But then I realized that this is nothing new.  The government has been pulling shit like this all along.  They tell us what we should eat, what we should drive, what medications we should be allowed to take.  Their hegemony grows ever larger and always at our expense.  What freedom do we really have if The Powers That Be can "encourage" us to buy something for our own good and then tax us when we don't obey their "suggestions"?  What limits exist on federal power when the Executive Branch can unilaterally make a de facto declaration of war, order drone strikes on suspected terrorists with no due process, wire tap the phones of American citizens with no warrant, and detain suspected criminals indefinitely?

Yeah, this individual mandate has got me bent out of shape.  I don't believe the government, or anyone, should be able to coerce me into buying something I don't want to buy.  But really, this has been a long time coming.  We the people have been the doormats of our elected officials for a long time.  When we went into Iraq illegally and under tenuous pretenses, I defended it.  When the Patriot Act was signed, I thought only those with something to hide needed to be afraid.  When I heard the stories about torture and drone strikes, I winced slightly but figured that our wise leaders were only doing what was necessary.  I was a sheep. 

Now to my rage I join a new and uncomfortable emotion--shame.  I should have known better.  I should have spoken up sooner.  Talk of "collateral damage" should have engendered at least as much passion as the idea of mandated health care.  I lacked judgment, and I lacked compassion.  I can't say this isn't the government I deserve, but I want to do better.  I want to be better.

I want to be the sort of person who can be counted on to fight for liberty and against oppression.  Always.  I want cherish the rights of all people, whether they live in my neighborhood, speak my language and share my religion or are across the world from me, whatever customs they follow or whatever god they pray to.  I want to live my life in such a way that no one will have to wonder how the marginalized will be cared for in a truly free society.  I want to care for them now. 

I have been a sheep, and I repent of my sheepish ways.  I think it's time to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment